Web   ·   Wiki   ·   Activities   ·   Blog   ·   Lists   ·   Chat   ·   Meeting   ·   Bugs   ·   Git   ·   Translate   ·   Archive   ·   People   ·   Donate

#sugar-meeting, 2018-02-02

 « Previous day | Index | Today | Next day »     Channels | Search | Join

All times shown according to UTC.

Time Nick Message
01:14 walter__ <walter__!~webchat@rev-18-85-44-69.sugarlabs.org> has joined #sugar-meeting
02:33 bikram <bikram!~bikram@49.244.226.98> has joined #sugar-meeting
03:24 bikram has quit IRC
05:27 llaske <llaske!~llaske@LFbn-1-12522-139.w90-91.abo.wanadoo.fr> has joined #sugar-meeting
05:31 llaske has quit IRC
07:10 Hrishi <Hrishi!uid200307@gateway/web/irccloud.com/x-fwnuppjyqzzupazm> has joined #sugar-meeting
08:19 llaske <llaske!~llaske@163.5.55.25> has joined #sugar-meeting
08:23 llaske has quit IRC
08:28 llaske <llaske!~llaske@163.5.55.25> has joined #sugar-meeting
09:20 Hrishi has quit IRC
09:39 llaske has quit IRC
09:40 llaske <llaske!~llaske@163.5.55.25> has joined #sugar-meeting
09:41 llaske has quit IRC
09:41 llaske <llaske!~llaske@163.5.55.25> has joined #sugar-meeting
12:00 meeting <meeting!~sugaroid@rev-18-85-44-69.sugarlabs.org> has joined #sugar-meeting
12:33 bikram <bikram!~bikram@27.34.48.187> has joined #sugar-meeting
12:48 bikram has quit IRC
12:49 bikram <bikram!~bikram@27.34.48.187> has joined #sugar-meeting
13:10 llaske has quit IRC
13:18 Hrishi <Hrishi!uid200307@gateway/web/irccloud.com/x-vtewyqrxzkhmbfhw> has joined #sugar-meeting
13:34 Jaskirat_ <Jaskirat_!uid272023@gateway/web/irccloud.com/x-zfewnbpsxglqgmcq> has joined #sugar-meeting
13:41 llaske <llaske!~llaske@163.5.55.25> has joined #sugar-meeting
13:43 llaske has quit IRC
13:43 llaske <llaske!~llaske@163.5.55.25> has joined #sugar-meeting
16:43 ibiam <ibiam!~ibiam@41.190.3.93> has joined #sugar-meeting
17:18 llaske has quit IRC
18:15 Menzador <Menzador!17e25292@gateway/web/freenode/ip.23.226.82.146> has joined #sugar-meeting
18:24 llaske <llaske!~llaske@LFbn-1-12522-139.w90-91.abo.wanadoo.fr> has joined #sugar-meeting
18:26 Menzador has quit IRC
18:28 llaske has quit IRC
18:47 llaske <llaske!~llaske@LFbn-1-12522-139.w90-91.abo.wanadoo.fr> has joined #sugar-meeting
18:48 llaske has left #sugar-meeting
19:01 ibiam <ibiam!~ibiam@hymax.hyperia.com> has joined #sugar-meeting
19:01 ibiam has quit IRC
19:02 ibiam <ibiam!~ibiam@hymax.hyperia.com> has joined #sugar-meeting
19:03 carlos <carlos!~webchat@rev-18-85-44-69.sugarlabs.org> has joined #sugar-meeting
19:08 davelab6 <davelab6!~webchat@rev-18-85-44-69.sugarlabs.org> has joined #sugar-meeting
19:09 davelab6 hi
19:09 elchulo <elchulo!~mwalim@75-173-143-134.albq.qwest.net> has joined #sugar-meeting
19:09 Jaskirat_ davelab6: hello
19:12 sverma <sverma!~sverma@130.212.93.105> has joined #sugar-meeting
19:14 sverma has quit IRC
19:14 ibiam hey davelab6!!!!
19:20 samsongoddy <samsongoddy!~samson___@41.190.30.140> has joined #sugar-meeting
19:21 GrannieB <GrannieB!~webchat@rev-18-85-44-69.sugarlabs.org> has joined #sugar-meeting
19:22 GrannieB Is this the correct meeting room?
19:23 samsongoddy I was thinking too
19:23 GrannieB Hi Samson!
19:23 samsongoddy Hell
19:23 Hello
19:23 I thought i was missed the meeting
19:23 GrannieB No wonder they don't get a quorum!
19:24 samsongoddy Timezone issues?
19:25 GrannieB Shouldn't be.... I'll send Walter a note and cc Adam
19:25 samsongoddy +1
19:27 Hrishi has quit IRC
19:27 GrannieB just sent it.
19:28 Did you get to watch the Harvard class video?
19:28 bikram has quit IRC
19:28 GrannieB I haven't yet but it is still awailable
19:28 available
19:29 samsongoddy Yes, just for 4 minutes. I am having issues with my internet
19:29 Is there a place i can download?
19:29 GrannieB maybe...
19:31 I'll message Sameer on FB and see if he knows what is happening
19:31 samsongoddy Okay
19:32 Let me see if i can contact walter
19:34 GrannieB great!  Meanwhile... not sure about downloading the lecture. I know you can download stuff from CS50, but this one is from a special Gaming class they have in the Harvard Extension (not EDx so not free)
19:35 samsongoddy Oh i see
19:36 GrannieB Sameer thinks it starts at the next hour
19:36 samsongoddy I thought as much
19:36 Timezones changes?
19:36 GrannieB I checked a UTC converter and it came out as now.
19:37 sverma <sverma!~sverma@130.212.93.105> has joined #sugar-meeting
19:37 samsongoddy Me too
19:37 Hello sverma
19:38 Looks like the timing was misunderstood
19:38 sverma Hello
19:39 It may be a daylight saving time mix up
19:39 GrannieB Boy... it sure was!
19:39 samsongoddy I saw your mail and I like the concept
19:39 GrannieB There were other people I don't know who left
19:40 Oh.... hi Sameer!
19:41 elverma <elverma!~sverma@2607:fb90:9dd6:b89b:2758:9221:f18f:42cd> has joined #sugar-meeting
19:41 elverma Sugarlabs goals form: https://goo.gl/forms/PV3SV8opzBnb1eqw2
19:42 GrannieB http://www.timebie.com/std/utc.php
19:42 elverma It's the first step in collecting input
19:42 GrannieB Yes,  I put mine in after I sent the email about it.
19:43 elverma Thx
19:43 ibiam hi
19:43 GrannieB, elverma
19:43 sverma has quit IRC
19:43 ibiam been a while?
19:43 samsongoddy Welcome ibiam
19:43 ibiam says it's not a question
19:44 hey man
19:44 samsongoddy Handling my crashed computer
19:44 GrannieB Hi Ibiam
19:44 samsongoddy It crashed again after i resolved it
19:45 ibiam ooops!!!
19:45 GrannieB, how are you doing?
19:45 samsongoddy, what do you plan to do?
19:45 samsongoddy I fixed it some minutes back
19:46 Again for the 6th time
19:46 So I am doing some diagnose test
19:46 To figure out where the issue is coming from
19:48 ibiam aiight....still working on ma stuff
19:48 got stuck cos of network
19:50 GrannieB samson, what kind of computer is it?
19:51 samsongoddy Guess what?
19:51 Apple
19:51 Macbook Pro, because i refused to upgrade
19:51 To the lastest MacOSX
19:52 GrannieB why
19:52 ?
19:54 llaske <llaske!~llaske@LFbn-1-12522-139.w90-91.abo.wanadoo.fr> has joined #sugar-meeting
19:54 samsongoddy Because there is some issues with the lastest OS
19:54 llaske sorry, i am late
19:55 ibiam hi llaske
19:56 GrannieB Hi Lionel!
19:56 llaske hi all
19:56 walterbender <walterbender!~walter@146.115.133.213> has joined #sugar-meeting
19:56 samsongoddy llaske, you are not late
19:56 llaske cool
19:56 samsongoddy We haven't started the meeting
19:57 llaske has left #sugar-meeting
19:57 llaske <llaske!~llaske@LFbn-1-12522-139.w90-91.abo.wanadoo.fr> has joined #sugar-meeting
19:58 GrannieB Before we officially start, can someone tell me how to make a reply directed to one person rather than the group?
19:58 llaske Depend of your IRC client
19:59 GrannieB I am using one of the links in Walter's email... the bottom one
19:59 llaske usually just clicking of the name of the person you want to discuss
19:59 ibiam yeah and if you see "query", that's the option you need
20:00 davelab6 will the meeting be later today?
20:00 elverma Maybe...
20:00 walterbender Sorry
20:00 I messed up
20:00 llaske I thought it was one hour before but this time is better for me :-)
20:00 walterbender fell asleep
20:00 elverma BTW I'm on the train... Connection comes and goes
20:00 walterbender If peoeple can meet now, let's begin
20:01 elverma +1
20:01 llaske yep
20:01 walterbender #start-meeting
20:01 meeting Meeting started Fri Feb  2 20:01:29 2018 UTC. The chair is walterbender. Information about MeetBot at http://wiki.debian.org/MeetBot.
20:01 Useful Commands: #action #agreed #help #info #idea #link #topic #endmeeting
20:01 walterbender quick show of hands from SLOBs
20:02 elverma Here
20:02 llaske +1
20:02 samsongoddy +1
20:02 walterbender OK... we are good to go
20:02 Sorry for being late
20:02 Was in an early morning call to India and fell back to sleep
20:03 #topic #gci
20:03 Just to wrap up Google Code In.
20:03 We have our grand prize winners: kipply and euan
20:04 And our other finalists: sidhat, pipix, and emily
20:04 1195 students worked on tasks for Sugar Labs this year
20:04 about 800 completed tasks
20:05 elverma Impressive!
20:05 ibiam really impressive
20:05 walterbender about half of those were beginner tasks: learning to make a pull request, etc.
20:05 llaske Yes and there is very good work
20:05 walterbender but still. lots of great work and lots of great exposure
20:05 I was very pleased
20:05 and very pleased with the mentoring toop
20:06 we have a nice group of new mentors recruited by Samson
20:06 and out GSoC interns all helped as well
20:06 GrannieB Did some work collaboratively? The number of tasks vs participants indicates they did
20:07 walterbender GrannieB, there was lots of collaboration, all informal, as the contest doesn't allow for group projects
20:07 llaske I've got few times however task validated without good reason: we must ensure the mentor are able to do task themself
20:07 walterbender but the finalists, especially, helped their fellow contestants
20:08 llaske, given the scale, it didn't happen very much
20:08 there were a few hiccups in the beginning
20:08 and when I asked students to revisit, they always did
20:08 also, a number of the students are still contributing patches :)
20:09 we are about to land a major piece of work from euan, for example
20:09 any questions/comments re GCI?
20:10 Leads into the next topic: GSoC
20:10 #topic GSoC
20:10 I applied to Google Summer of Code
20:11 we should hear back from Google in a few weeks as to if and how many slots we have
20:11 meanwhile, we have a wiki page with lots of nice project ideas
20:11 and we can still add more
20:11 llaske yes great. Warning however, some tasks are more marketing/design than coding
20:11 walterbender #link https://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Summer_of_Code/2018
20:11 llaske, that is OK...
20:12 ibiam there are ideas....doesn't mean they'll be given a slot
20:12 walterbender ibiam, +1
20:12 llaske I don't think it's the spirit of GSoC
20:12 walterbender llaske, I disagree
20:12 and I think google would also
20:13 CanoeBerry Am following, but apologies am in an in-person meeting simultaneously to this irc mtg.
20:13 walterbender All of the tasks are related to FOSS
20:13 llaske For example "Updating a new design of Sugarlabs wiki" is more about MediaWiki templating than coding
20:13 I suggest we prioritize slots on coding tasks
20:13 walterbender llaske, I rate that task a very low priority
20:13 GrannieB Walter said some time ago that something like a users guide for users/educators could be a GSoC project. Is that true or did I misunderstand?
20:13 walterbender but to do it well is to do some style-sheet coding
20:14 GrannieB, +1
20:14 llaske So we'll need a priority column
20:14 walterbender The project is much more than just writing code
20:15 ibiam +1
20:15 walterbender and my priority is on the quality of the intern, not the project itself
20:15 we want to bring good ideas and people into the org.
20:15 llaske Same for "Making a marketing animated website page of sugarlabs"
20:15 GrannieB If we have lots of beautifully coded Activities but people don't know how to take advantage of all their features it is kind a waste. That is why users guides are as important as Activities.
20:16 walterbender llaske, what I would hope is that we find someone very strong to drive a marketing effort this summer
20:16 GrannieB What good is a wonderful program if no one knows about it or how to use it?
20:16 walterbender GrannieB, +1
20:16 GrannieB Yes, Marketing is extremely important!
20:17 samsongoddy I agree too walterbender
20:17 llaske I'm fully agree that marketing is important but once again GSoC is a developer program
20:17 samsongoddy A lot of projects have been done, but marketing is important to make "people" come in
20:17 walterbender in your opinion
20:17 As I said, I think it is broader than that
20:17 samsongoddy llaske, i might be wrong but i saw some noncoding project last year
20:18 walterbender and we've treated it more broadly in the past
20:18 llaske Google Summer of Code is a global program focused on bringing more student developers into open source software development
20:18 (said Google)
20:18 ibiam and that includes marketing
20:18 walterbender and since when is "open source development" only coding?
20:18 elverma has quit IRC
20:18 GrannieB it should also include documentation for the users
20:18 walterbender that is a very narrow read
20:18 samsongoddy Yet, other organizations do non-coding  tasks
20:18 ibiam it's broad
20:19 llaske student developers...
20:19 (said Google)
20:19 samsongoddy Open Source range from Documentation to Coding to Outreach
20:19 GrannieB +1
20:20 walterbender frankly, I can write code... but I cannot do many of these other tasks...
20:20 sverma <sverma!~sverma@2607:fb90:9dd6:b89b:2758:9221:f18f:42cd> has joined #sugar-meeting
20:20 walterbender I am looking for people who do things that I cannot
20:20 carlos Hi all, i'm listening in from New Mexico ... just saying hi
20:20 samsongoddy But again, llaske, i get your point.
20:21 llaske "start of coding"
20:21 (said Google)
20:21 ibiam llaske, do you put a lot of work into documentation/marketing/outreach with sugarizer
20:22 llaske Sure, but for GSoC, I'm looking for developers
20:22 walterbender I am not sure we are going to reach consensus and I am not sure it matters
20:22 llaske +1
20:23 walterbender let's move on since we are waiting for google in any case
20:23 #topic sysadmin
20:23 GrannieB Because that is what you want to do. I would like to see some users guides and marketing,,, which others might want to do
20:24 walterbender good news -- we have a new sysadmin volunteer, MrBIOS
20:24 samsongoddy Awesome news
20:24 walterbender which is great because Bernie just moved to Japan and has limited availability
20:24 I am also looking for another volunteer
20:25 if anyone knows any systems types willing to help out, please bring them to my attention.
20:25 ibiam has quit IRC
20:25 samsongoddy +1, i will look
20:25 ibiam <ibiam!~ibiam@hymax.hyperia.com> has joined #sugar-meeting
20:25 walterbender samsongoddy, seems some of the people you found for GCI have the necessary skills...
20:26 samsongoddy Yes
20:26 walterbender but meanwhile, I hope things get unstuck -- as we have a bit of a backlog.
20:26 samsongoddy I will reach out to them
20:26 walterbender samsongoddy, thx
20:27 sverma has quit IRC
20:27 walterbender #topic ombudsman
20:27 sverma <sverma!~sverma@130.212.93.105> has joined #sugar-meeting
20:27 walterbender I have been remiss in finding us a new Ombudsman.
20:27 I have a few ideas, but have not acted on them.
20:28 I am also receptive to ideas from the community
20:28 This is an important role, which hopefully is not a lot of work
20:28 Bert only had to intervene twice in 10 years.
20:29 sverma, you have enough of a connection to jump into the goals discussion?
20:30 ibiam has quit IRC
20:30 walterbender While we are waiting for sverma, any thoughts on meeting times? It seems 1900 UTC on Fridays is not working very well (nor 2000 UTC)
20:30 ibiam <ibiam!~ibiam@hymax.hyperia.com> has joined #sugar-meeting
20:31 walterbender llaske, what works for you?
20:31 samsongoddy, for you?
20:31 ibiam walterbender, do you have a list of candidates?
20:31 GrannieB If we all used a UTC converter it might work better
20:31 walterbender ibiam, I don't want to make it public without talking to the candidates
20:32 ibiam okay
20:32 llaske 20h00 UTC is good for me but if it's not for other we could choose another
20:32 samsongoddy The time is good for me
20:32 walterbender CanoeBerry, ?
20:32 ibiam has quit IRC
20:32 elchulo has quit IRC
20:32 CanoeBerry Current Friday timeframe or similar works on this end-
20:32 walterbender I guess this is something easier to decide with a software tool.
20:33 ibiam <ibiam!~ibiam@hymax.hyperia.com> has joined #sugar-meeting
20:33 walterbender OK. I'll try to check with Claudia and Sameer
20:33 any other topics while we wait for Sameer?
20:33 samsongoddy Educator?
20:34 Role in Sugar Labs?
20:34 walterbender samsongoddy, yes...
20:34 #topic educator
20:34 Samson recently reminded me that we used to have a position -- never filled -- for the role of educator.
20:34 looks for the page in the wiki
20:36 The idea would be to put a renewed emphasis on pedagogy again
20:36 someone who could relate to teachers and help us with outreach
20:37 samsongoddy, can you find the page? I cannot
20:37 GrannieB I could see this as ideal for a team effort with some folks like Rosamel, José Miguel, Tony A, etc
20:37 samsongoddy Let me look
20:38 GrannieB Guzman Trinidad is also good
20:38 ibiam in Nigeria we have a few persons too
20:38 samsongoddy Yes Henry
20:39 The Champion of OLPC Nigeria
20:39 And Schlumberger SEED program
20:39 Worked with Claudia
20:39 GrannieB Sameer probably has contacts in Jamaica too
20:39 walterbender would be great if we got the discussion around education going again...
20:39 sverma Sorry I'm on the train
20:39 GrannieB sure would!
20:40 sverma Connection comes and goes
20:40 walterbender and to do that, I think we need a dedicated champion
20:40 it won't happen on its own
20:41 elverma <elverma!~sverma@2607:fb90:9dd6:b89b:2758:9221:f18f:42cd> has joined #sugar-meeting
20:41 ibiam walterbender, someone needs attention re rpi image-gen in #sugar
20:41 sverma has quit IRC
20:41 elverma has quit IRC
20:42 sverma <sverma!~sverma@130.212.93.105> has joined #sugar-meeting
20:42 walterbender samsongoddy, GrannieB maybe you can put together a proposal, with feedback from Henry, Rosamel, et al?
20:42 sverma, you there?
20:42 sverma The link for the goals form is on iaep
20:43 walterbender sverma, I didn't look yet...
20:43 it explains the process too?
20:43 sverma Submit your ideas there. We'll try to do a two week+one week gathering session
20:43 It's fairly simple for now
20:43 carlos https://goo.gl/forms/PV3SV8opzBnb1eqw2 is the link
20:44 sverma Yes
20:44 walterbender sverma, one goal per submission? in case we have multiple goals?
20:44 sverma One per submission. Multiple ok
20:45 I'll clarify that on the form and email
20:45 walterbender thx
20:47 anything else for today?
20:47 sverma I have to run. Another meeting.
20:47 Thx
20:48 sverma has quit IRC
20:48 llaske Thanks sverma
20:48 walterbender OK.
20:48 thanks everyone
20:48 sorry I fell asleep
20:48 carlos has quit IRC
20:48 ibiam you're forgiven
20:48 llaske Thanks walterbender
20:49 ibiam thanks, walterbender, everyone
20:49 walterbender #end-meeting
20:49 meeting Meeting ended Fri Feb  2 20:49:15 2018 UTC. Information about MeetBot at http://wiki.debian.org/MeetBot. (v 0.1.4)
20:49 Minutes: http://meeting.sugarlabs.org/s[…]-02T20:01:29.html
20:49 Log:     http://meeting.sugarlabs.org/s[…]18-02-02T20:01:29
20:49 llaske has quit IRC
20:52 llaske <llaske!~llaske@LFbn-1-12522-139.w90-91.abo.wanadoo.fr> has joined #sugar-meeting
20:52 llaske has quit IRC
20:52 llaske <llaske!~llaske@LFbn-1-12522-139.w90-91.abo.wanadoo.fr> has joined #sugar-meeting
20:54 GrannieB has quit IRC
20:56 ibiam has quit IRC
20:57 dzho skimmed scrollback and followed along there for a little bit
21:05 samsongoddy has quit IRC
21:12 davelab6 has quit IRC
21:19 walterbender has quit IRC
21:20 llaske has quit IRC
21:24 Jaskirat_ has quit IRC
21:55 walterbender <walterbender!~walter@c-73-126-75-183.hsd1.ma.comcast.net> has joined #sugar-meeting
21:57 llaske <llaske!~llaske@LFbn-1-12522-139.w90-91.abo.wanadoo.fr> has joined #sugar-meeting
22:02 llaske has quit IRC
23:15 walterbender has quit IRC

 « Previous day | Index | Today | Next day »     Channels | Search | Join

Powered by ilbot/Modified.
Webmaster