Web   ·   Wiki   ·   Activities   ·   Blog   ·   Lists   ·   Chat   ·   Meeting   ·   Bugs   ·   Git   ·   Translate   ·   Archive   ·   People   ·   Donate

#sugar-meeting, 2018-04-06

 « Previous day | Index | Today | Next day »     Channels | Search | Join

All times shown according to UTC.

Time Nick Message
00:18 walterbender has quit IRC
00:19 walterbender <walterbender!~walter@146.115.133.213> has joined #sugar-meeting
00:32 walterbender has quit IRC
01:14 walterbender <walterbender!~walter@146.115.133.213> has joined #sugar-meeting
02:06 walterbender has quit IRC
03:25 bikram <bikram!~bikram@202.63.242.180> has joined #sugar-meeting
04:39 satellit_e has quit IRC
07:11 llaske <llaske!~llaske@static-qvn-qvs-168097.busi​ness.bouyguestelecom.com> has joined #sugar-meeting
07:16 llaske has quit IRC
07:18 llaske <llaske!~llaske@static-qvn-qvs-168097.busi​ness.bouyguestelecom.com> has joined #sugar-meeting
07:27 llaske has quit IRC
07:29 llaske <llaske!~llaske@static-qvn-qvs-168097.busi​ness.bouyguestelecom.com> has joined #sugar-meeting
08:05 llaske has quit IRC
08:14 llaske <llaske!~llaske@static-qvn-qvs-168097.busi​ness.bouyguestelecom.com> has joined #sugar-meeting
08:49 llaske has quit IRC
08:49 llaske <llaske!~llaske@static-qvn-qvs-168097.busi​ness.bouyguestelecom.com> has joined #sugar-meeting
09:02 bikram has quit IRC
09:07 bikram <bikram!~bikram@202.63.242.180> has joined #sugar-meeting
09:17 llaske has quit IRC
09:18 llaske <llaske!~llaske@static-qvn-qvs-168097.busi​ness.bouyguestelecom.com> has joined #sugar-meeting
09:46 llaske has quit IRC
09:47 llaske <llaske!~llaske@static-qvn-qvs-168097.busi​ness.bouyguestelecom.com> has joined #sugar-meeting
09:58 llaske has quit IRC
10:06 llaske <llaske!~llaske@static-qvn-qvs-168097.busi​ness.bouyguestelecom.com> has joined #sugar-meeting
10:11 llaske has quit IRC
11:03 meeting <meeting!~sugaroid@rev-18-85-44-69.sugarlabs.org> has joined #sugar-meeting
11:03 llaske <llaske!~llaske@163.5.55.25> has joined #sugar-meeting
11:11 vipulgupta2048 <vipulgupta2048!uid288009@gateway/web/irccloud.com/x-ydyeggrwbeyquepn> has joined #sugar-meeting
11:28 bikram has quit IRC
11:38 walterbender <walterbender!~walter@146.115.133.213> has joined #sugar-meeting
14:15 walterbender has quit IRC
14:30 perrie <perrie!~perriefid@129.56.12.73> has joined #sugar-meeting
14:31 vipulgupta2048 has quit IRC
14:34 perrie has quit IRC
14:34 walterbender <walterbender!~walter@c-73-126-75-183.hsd1.ma.comcast.net> has joined #sugar-meeting
14:37 perrie <perrie!~perriefid@129.56.12.73> has joined #sugar-meeting
14:40 llaske has quit IRC
14:40 perrie has quit IRC
14:41 llaske <llaske!~llaske@163.5.55.25> has joined #sugar-meeting
14:41 llaske has quit IRC
14:41 llaske <llaske!~llaske@163.5.55.25> has joined #sugar-meeting
14:43 perrie <perrie!~perriefid@129.56.12.73> has joined #sugar-meeting
14:46 perrie has quit IRC
14:54 perrie <perrie!~perriefid@129.56.12.73> has joined #sugar-meeting
15:06 perrie has quit IRC
15:09 llaske has quit IRC
15:12 llaske <llaske!~llaske@163.5.55.25> has joined #sugar-meeting
15:12 jaskiratsingh[m] <jaskiratsingh[m]!jaskiratsi@gateway/shell/matrix.org/x-ldopqcyhclontzmq> has joined #sugar-meeting
15:25 vipulgupta2048 <vipulgupta2048!uid288009@gateway/web/irccloud.com/x-nupolicjagttaehx> has joined #sugar-meeting
16:03 llaske has quit IRC
16:09 llaske <llaske!~llaske@163.5.55.25> has joined #sugar-meeting
16:27 llaske has quit IRC
16:27 llaske <llaske!~llaske@163.5.55.25> has joined #sugar-meeting
16:28 llaske has quit IRC
16:28 llaske <llaske!~llaske@163.5.55.25> has joined #sugar-meeting
16:28 llaske has quit IRC
16:29 llaske <llaske!~llaske@163.5.55.25> has joined #sugar-meeting
16:29 llaske has quit IRC
16:31 llaske <llaske!~llaske@163.5.55.25> has joined #sugar-meeting
16:42 llaske_ <llaske_!~llaske@163.5.55.25> has joined #sugar-meeting
16:43 llaske has quit IRC
16:59 llaske <llaske!~llaske@163.5.55.25> has joined #sugar-meeting
17:00 llaske_ has quit IRC
17:00 llaske has quit IRC
17:03 llaske <llaske!~llaske@163.5.55.25> has joined #sugar-meeting
17:10 llaske has quit IRC
17:11 llaske <llaske!~llaske@163.5.55.25> has joined #sugar-meeting
17:13 llaske has quit IRC
17:51 walterbender has quit IRC
17:54 walterbender <walterbender!~walter@c-73-126-75-183.hsd1.ma.comcast.net> has joined #sugar-meeting
18:00 llaske <llaske!~llaske@2a01cb00074daf00f94dfa6fb0b​fa5e8.ipv6.abo.wanadoo.fr> has joined #sugar-meeting
18:04 llaske has quit IRC
18:04 walterbender has quit IRC
18:05 walterbender <walterbender!~walter@c-73-126-75-183.hsd1.ma.comcast.net> has joined #sugar-meeting
18:17 Hrishi <Hrishi!uid200307@gateway/web/irccloud.com/x-npfnpcnzbulobgpc> has joined #sugar-meeting
18:18 walterbender has quit IRC
18:51 walterbender <walterbender!~walter@c-73-126-75-183.hsd1.ma.comcast.net> has joined #sugar-meeting
18:57 walterbender has quit IRC
18:58 walterbender <walterbender!~walter@c-73-126-75-183.hsd1.ma.comcast.net> has joined #sugar-meeting
19:01 llaske <llaske!~llaske@2a01cb00074daf00f94dfa6fb0b​fa5e8.ipv6.abo.wanadoo.fr> has joined #sugar-meeting
19:38 Pro-Panda <Pro-Panda!2a6be256@gateway/web/freenode/ip.42.107.226.86> has joined #sugar-meeting
19:48 jaskirat <jaskirat!uid272023@gateway/web/irccloud.com/x-ntwxswzqubvumwop> has joined #sugar-meeting
19:53 walterbender any slob members here?
19:54 jaskirat walterbender: hi
19:55 llaske Hi
19:55 jaskirat llaske: hi
20:00 GrannieB_ <GrannieB_!~webchat@rev-18-85-44-69.sugarlabs.org> has joined #sugar-meeting
20:00 walterbender shall we begin
20:00 samsongoddy <samsongoddy!~androirc@129.56.12.48> has joined #sugar-meeting
20:00 walterbender #start-meeting
20:00 meeting Meeting started Fri Apr  6 20:00:47 2018 UTC. The chair is walterbender. Information about MeetBot at http://wiki.debian.org/MeetBot.
20:00 Useful Commands: #action #agreed #help #info #idea #link #topic #endmeeting
20:00 walterbender We don't seem to have a quorum today
20:01 samsongoddy I am here
20:01 walterbender But I don't know that we have too much formal business
20:01 GrannieB_ Hi... I don't count
20:01 walterbender #topic GSoC
20:01 We have 49 proposals for Google Summer of Code.
20:01 I'll be submitting our slot request over the weekend.
20:01 llaske Lot of good proposal
20:01 walterbender Some strong proposals
20:02 ibiam hi
20:02 yeah
20:02 walterbender and some very active participants
20:02 samsongoddy Yes
20:02 walterbender Quozl has a strong team assembled around him
20:02 jaskirat Yes
20:02 Hi all
20:03 riyalohia <riyalohia!0e8bf3aa@gateway/web/freenode/ip.14.139.243.170> has joined #sugar-meeting
20:03 walterbender I'll send out email once we know how many slots Google assigns us.
20:03 any other comments re GSoC?
20:03 llaske How many slots you plan to ask ?
20:03 walterbender I think 8-12 (min-max)
20:03 Last year we got 9 slots
20:04 jaskirat I think thats fine !!
20:04 llaske Hope we'll have at least as last year
20:04 walterbender we'll see... it seems there is lots of variance in the Google assignments each year
20:05 samsongoddy I think this year will be bigger
20:05 This is the biggest Gsoc yet
20:05 walterbender We'll see. I have been keeping in close contact with Google...
20:05 llaske May be 8 is too much
20:05 jaskirat walterbender: have you written for it or yet to write to google ?
20:05 walterbender I think we have 8 worthy proposals, minimum
20:06 jaskirat, It is done through the GSoC portal by the admin
20:06 llaske Could we have less slots than the min value ?
20:07 jaskirat walterbender: yeah that i know ...! I am asking have you applied ?
20:07 walterbender llaske, We could get as few as 0, but I think that is unlikely
20:07 and we don't need to use all the slots if we don't want to use them
20:08 llaske Sure but my question is if we ask for 8, could we have only 6 or 7 or it's 8 or 0
20:08 GrannieB_ Ask for as many as you think we can use, Google can always give us less
20:08 walterbender llaske, Google asked what we want as a guideline... but they assign whatever they decide.
20:08 could be 0. could be 49
20:08 ibiam i think slots are decided by whatever google deems slot worthy
20:09 walterbender ibiam, and availability
20:09 lots of new orgs
20:09 llaske but new org could have only 2 slots max
20:10 walterbender llaske, I don't know the constraints, but I gather that there are finite slots available
20:10 octamois Sorry a bit late
20:10 walterbender and Google will assign them... and hopefully consider our request seriously
20:10 but that is all I can assure.
20:10 Quozl .
20:11 walterbender moving on...
20:11 #topic SFC
20:11 We got email from the SFC with some updates regarding contact email
20:11 Most relevant is the accounting email contact.
20:11 the new contact email is:
20:12 accounts-payable@tix.sfconservancy.org
20:12 I
20:12 I have made note of this in the wiki.
20:13 #topic Music Blocks/Turtle Blocks
20:13 A few things to report:
20:13 (1) I finally managed to get the new planet server running and have consequently transferred both projects to the SL project on Git Hub.
20:14 (2) Devin's most recent trip to Japan looks like it will bear fruit: METI is interested in a large-scale teacher-training program to be launched this summer.
20:14 Details coming soon.
20:15 (3) I also applied for a grant to develop more teaching materials from MIT. I should hear next week.
20:15 jaskirat walterbender: i too got some queries from school teachers for learning TB
20:15 walterbender jaskirat, nice.
20:16 (4) I am working on more in-line help to get people started along the lines of:
20:16 jaskirat and will be in a event in a month of may of educators ...! So definitely will be including about it there
20:17 walterbender https://musicblocks.sugarlabs.[…]01116989&run=True
20:17 (5) There is also interest in a workshop in Malaysia
20:18 jaskirat Thats nice !!
20:18 samsongoddy Nigeria too😁
20:18 walterbender and (6) Still working on plans for Port Harcourt
20:18 jaskirat walterbender: we do also here planning to get more people involved
20:19 walterbender anyway, that is all that was on my agenda
20:19 anyone else?
20:20 llaske Would be nice to talk about OLPC SF Event
20:20 but Sameer is not here
20:20 samsongoddy Education team
20:20 jaskirat walterbender: would be nice to partner with MS education
20:21 walterbender
20:21 jaskirat To explore more about our programs
20:21 GrannieB_ I have sent notes to some people inviting them to be on the Education Team. Still waiting for answers from some. But Henry, Jaskarit, and Rosamel have all said "yes"
20:22 walterbender would like an invite :P
20:22 and perhaps Claudia?
20:22 GrannieB_ Consider yourself invited!
20:22 samsongoddy Yeah
20:22 Me too😂
20:22 ibiam GrannieB_, there should be a criteria right?
20:22 for invite/acceptance
20:22 GrannieB_ Claudia is already on the team as is Samson
20:23 walterbender https://logothings.github.io/logothings/ may be of interest
20:23 GrannieB_ The people should have some experience as an educator... in a school or a project
20:23 jaskirat walterbender: i think MS education can help us to move further to the formation of a team
20:24 walterbender jaskirat, you'll have to explain how/why
20:24 llaske jaskirat you're an educator ?
20:24 jaskirat walterbender: okay ..! I will prepare doc for it !
20:24 GrannieB_ Right now I/we (Samson and I) are trying to get a large geographic distribution and to not have too many developers... mostly educators.
20:25 jaskirat llaske: not particularly but have done basics to teach people !!
20:25 samsongoddy I am very skeptical about MS
20:25 Yes
20:25 GrannieB_ developers we have lots of already
20:25 samsongoddy They are going OS
20:25 But not FOSS
20:25 GrannieB_ I don't "do Windows" but I do have an open mind for open source sources!
20:26 jaskirat GrannieB_: its all apart from windows
20:26 samsongoddy Microsoft has always been against FOSS
20:26 GrannieB_ They were at SCaLE this year
20:27 samsongoddy But they are changing now, but not to the standard yet
20:27 Yes
20:27 jaskirat GrannieB_ samsongoddy It includes groups as well as other people who works only on education projects which is open so we gonna also add our programs to work upon them and use them in teaching kids
20:27 samsongoddy Jaskirat you don't understand what we are saying..
20:27 Yes
20:28 They might have a good group of educators
20:28 But what software are they using
20:28 We have MS community in Nigeria
20:28 Like Google
20:28 Almost all Educational tools own my MS are not FOSS
20:29 *by
20:29 vipulgupta2048 .
20:30 jaskirat samsongoddy: i think you are not getting my point !!! I would like to suggest once that go through the links i send you ...thoroughly it might able to understand
20:30 samsongoddy opensource.microsoft.com?
20:30 Quozl Any company that engages with Sugar Labs must be measured against that formal agreement between Sugar Labs and SFC.  While it could happen with MS, it seems unlikely.  Remarkable claims require remarkable evidence.  Just saying things without evidence may alienate some of us.
20:31 jaskirat samsongoddy: nope
20:31 walterbender I'll keep an open mind
20:31 GrannieB_ For now it is probably best that we don't bring Microsoft into the Education Team agenda. Too many people may be turned off by it.
20:31 jaskirat samsongoddy https://education.microsoft.com/
20:32 samsongoddy: and this too https://www.yammer.com/
20:32 samsongoddy My point GrannieB_
20:32 GrannieB_ Later, if we see something good that they have that we want to take advantage of, we can consider it. But for now, for some people, just the term Microsoft is a big turn-off
20:32 samsongoddy MS should be off our list for now
20:32 jaskirat We will be just using as a market place nothing else ....i guess so
20:33 GrannieB_: samsongoddy fine
20:33 vipulgupta2048 GrannieB_: +1
20:33 GrannieB_ We need to concentrate on Sugar and Sugarizer for now
20:33 Plus Walter's projects too
20:33 Quozl I've just checked.  It's easy.  On https://education.microsoft.com/ right down the bottom is terms of use, which links to https://www.microsoft.com/en-u[…]ervicesagreement/ which has a section on software license, which is incompatible with Sugar Labs.
20:35 samsongoddy FYI https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wik[…]n-source_software this can help
20:36 walterbender GrannieB_, In theory my projects will work in both Sugar and Sugarizer... so that is not a distinction we need to make.
20:36 GrannieB_ True. And Sugarizer can work on just about anything, including laptops and desktops.... right ll?
20:36 Hrishi has quit IRC
20:37 samsongoddy Yes
20:37 vipulgupta2048 Yep
20:38 walterbender GrannieB_, when do you plan to host the next Education Team meeting?
20:40 GrannieB_ probably the week before the next SLOB meeting. Which would be the last week in April. We will need to settle on a day and time before then, and we hope to have a few more folks on board by then
20:40 walterbender +1
20:40 GrannieB_ GSoC has sort of gotten in the way
20:40 walterbender any other topics for today?
20:40 vipulgupta2048 I have something to ask.
20:40 walterbender sure
20:42 vipulgupta2048 Its about the issue as I was discussing on #sugar also. I am taking the Xubuntu's Plymouth Script which is covered under GPL. So i wanted to know how to go on about it.
20:42 Quozl vipulgupta2048: you are deriving from it, then you keep the license.
20:42 vipulgupta2048 Quozl: Yes, that's what I thought. But should I include Sugarlabs name anywhere?
20:43 Or is it fine that way.
20:43 jaskirat walterbender: when are the plans going to be implemented as stated on Sameer's form ?
20:43 Quozl vipulgupta2048: no need to.  the copyright owner can stay the same.  assuming you are making only tiny changes.
20:43 walterbender jaskirat, sameer is not here today...
20:44 vipulgupta2048 Quozl: Yep, that works. Thank you.
20:44 Quozl vipulgupta2048: if you make large amount of change, you may add your name or sugar labs, up to you.  i don't think we have a preference which.
20:44 jaskirat walterbender: i hope we could have marketing meeting too soon
20:44 walterbender jaskirat, please work with Samson to organize one
20:44 vipulgupta2048 Quozl: Noted, will take care of that.
20:45 jaskirat walterbender: sure !!
20:45 walterbender OK...
20:45 jaskirat samsongoddy: ^
20:45 walterbender I've got grandkids on the rampage...
20:46 so if there is nothing more, I'd like to adjourn a bit early
20:46 vipulgupta2048 Nothing more from my side.
20:46 Quozl be thankful no video then.  ;-)  (re grandkids)
20:46 walterbender llaske, ?
20:46 samsongoddy, ?
20:47 Quozl [with reference to the expert on south korea last year who was photobombed by his kids while interviewing with bbc]
20:47 llaske Ok
20:47 samsongoddy Yes
20:47 walterbender Quozl, :)
20:47 thanks everyone.
20:47 #end-meeting
20:47 GrannieB_ I'm fine (but don't count!)
20:47 meeting Meeting ended Fri Apr  6 20:47:31 2018 UTC. Information about MeetBot at http://wiki.debian.org/MeetBot. (v 0.1.4)
20:47 Minutes: http://meeting.sugarlabs.org/s[…]-06T20:00:47.html
20:47 Log:     http://meeting.sugarlabs.org/s[…]18-04-06T20:00:47
20:48 riyalohia has quit IRC
20:48 Pro-Panda has left #sugar-meeting
20:48 llaske has quit IRC
20:51 GrannieB_ has quit IRC
20:52 walterbender has quit IRC
21:05 samsongoddy has quit IRC
21:50 samsongoddy <samsongoddy!~androirc@129.56.12.10> has joined #sugar-meeting
22:03 yashagrawal3 <yashagrawal3!6725c95f@gateway/web/freenode/ip.103.37.201.95> has joined #sugar-meeting
22:21 yashagrawal3 has quit IRC
23:42 satellit has quit IRC
23:42 satellit <satellit!~satellit@2601:602:880:1907::9555> has joined #sugar-meeting
23:49 llaske <llaske!~llaske@2a01cb00074daf00f94dfa6fb0b​fa5e8.ipv6.abo.wanadoo.fr> has joined #sugar-meeting
23:51 vipulgupta2048 has quit IRC
23:54 llaske has quit IRC

 « Previous day | Index | Today | Next day »     Channels | Search | Join

Powered by ilbot/Modified.
Webmaster